Please remember!

The information presented on this blog represents "learning in progress" on my part, a horse owner, who was not satisfied with professional farriers and took matters in my own hands. As far as I am aware at the time of the post, the information presented is correct, but may change with me understanding more about hooves, in which case I will edit or remove the post. In order to follow my learning and understand everything about Molly's hoof, you need to start reading at the bottom.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

plane of assessment

I found this article, written by Dr. Deb Bennett, PhD, in EQUUS issue 420, September 2012. I came across this author before, when researching hind leg conformation. Dr. Bennett has written a book on conformation.

Some time ago on this blog I have written about my difficulties deciding whether my horses are toed-in or toed-out. It depended on what angle I looked at the feet. Now, after reading this article, I realize that I am not the only one with this problem, only not many people seem to notice that it indeed IS a problem.

In order to properly assess the forelimb conformation one needs to position oneself in the plane of assessment which bisects the horse's knee.

None of the pictures that circulate in books and in the internet make this point, they always look from the front on the horse's leg.

I am going to have to look at my horses legs in a new light now.






No comments:

Post a Comment